Every now and then, a shiny star pokes her head up and says, "Hey guys! I know this awesome dude that has been contracted by companies like Amazon and Zappos to guide them on running a better business. Do you want to meet him?" In this case, that shiny star is Meghan from Po-Mo, the awesome dude is Alistair Croll, and thanks to Meghan's insistence, Alistair is coming to Winnipeg on December 11 to share his world-renown startup expertise with you.
So what's the deal?
Half of all new companies fail in their first few years. For startups, the rate of failure is far higher. And while there are a million ways to succeed in business, there are far fewer ways to fail. Shouldn’t you know what they are?
Whether you’re a scrappy startup or an established entrepreneur, you face the same set of fundamental challenges: finding a sustainable business model; building the right team; capturing the market’s attention; and managing funding and growth.
In this evening workshop, entrepreneur and Lean Analytics author Alistair Croll looks at ten major pitfalls founders face. With a focus on early and growth-stage startups, this workshop will tackle the hard truths of staffing, financing, achieving growth, balancing speed and caution, and using data to improve how you reach customers and beat competitors.
Nobody can tell you how to win or they’d be building your startup already. But you’re much more likely succeed if you know how to navigate the problems that kill most startups in their infancy.
Who should attend:
- Startup founders trying to find their product/market fit
- Aspiring entrepreneurs deciding whether to take the leap
- Executives from existing fast-growth companies who need to scale quickly
What: "How Not to Fail", with Alistair Croll
When: December 11, 2014, 6 PM (some snacks, no dinner)
Where: Red River College, 160 Princess Street, Main Floor dining hall
Who: Everyone's invited! Consider this a "super-meetup" with over 10 Orgs and Meetup Groups in attendance.
Thank you to all of our community partners for their support!
- Innovate Manitoba
- Ramp Up Manitoba
- Red River College
- Winnipeg eCommerce Meetup
- Winnipeg Agile User Group
- Winnipeg .NET User Group
- Winnipeg Ruby User Group
- Winnipeg JVM Programming Group
- Winnipeg Functional Programming user group
Need more incentive? Check out this background on Alistair:
Alistair Croll (@acroll) is an entrepreneur, author, and public speaker with over 20 years of experience. His world renowned presentations cover a variety of topics relevant to startups and distruptive technology industries, including:
- Entrepreneurship, and Lean approaches to growing companies from the perspective of both founders and funders.
- Setting corporate strategy in a period of high disruption and crumbling barriers to entry.
- Analytics, with a particular focus on gaining a comprehensive view of your presence online
- Web performance and monitoring.
- Marketing and growth hacking in a post-press-release world.
While much of Alistair's work has been with startups and accelerators, his background is in strategic marketing and advertising. He has also founded and run a number of conferences, including the Enterprise Cloud Summit, Cloud Connect, Startupfest, and Strata.
He has also written a number of books, including:
- Managing Bandwidth (Prentice Hall, 1999)
- Complete Web Monitoring (O’Reilly, 2009)
- Lean Analytics (O’Reilly, 2013)
- Propose, Prepare, Present (O’Reilly, 2013)
- Informationweek, (various articles)
- GigaOm (various articles)
- O’Reilly Radar and O’Reilly Strata (various articles)
This is an amazing opportunity to hear Alistair first-hand. There is no charge to attend and all are welcome but you must register in advance as seating is limited.
We hope to see you there!
Remember: if you are a NMM member, sign into the website to get your discounts.
160 Princess Street