Position: Lead Virtual Production Instructor and Expert-in-Residence
Job Type: Full time, On-site
Location: C100-201 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
Salary: $100,000 to $120,000
New Media Manitoba seeks a Lead Virtual Production Instructor and Expert-in-Residence to guide our latest initiative, StudioLab xR. StudioLab xR is the province’s first facility dedicated to Extended Reality technology (xR). Our mandate is to provide practical hands-on experience for industry professionals and students in this exciting new field.
As part of the StudioLab xR team, you will use your extensive production experience to lead the development of commercial projects and industry training at this new facility. Working closely with a talented in-house team you will build solutions, create projects and push technical limits. In addition, you would be essential in contributing to programs that train industry professionals the essential and practical skills required to succeed in developing xR content.
This role provides a unique opportunity if you have a passion for virtual production, performance capture, game development and instruction. There is no limit to what is possible through our partnership with Epic Games, access to global expertise, and state-of-the-art training lab in the heart of Winnipeg’s historic Exchange District.
Help us build new worlds and train the next generation of production artists, technicians, and game developers in the latest real-time technologies.
- Serving as liaison with the national and international xR community and identify opportunities to deliver training or services
- Building relationships with key stakeholders within the local IDM community
- Stay up to date on current technologies, certifications, exams
- Monitor the evolution of XR-specific tools and software, and ensure that curriculum is up-to-date and studio technology is current
- Leveraging your real world experience to develop and deliver curricula for secondary, post-secondary students and industry professionals
- Provide feedback to curriculum team on items for troubleshooting and updating curriculum elements as needed
- Deliver and lead participants through Unreal Engine curriculum, and supervising project based learning in studio
- Setting clear/transparent expectations and instructions while providing guidance, and academic support
- Manage participant’s projects and deliverables based on curriculum guidelines
- Mentor participants completing research-based or industry-driven projects
- Objectively evaluating participants’ work/progress and providing formative /summative feedback when needed
- Identify participant strengths and encourage pathway of speciality based on those skills
- If applicable, work with development company on artifacts and elements for commercialized products to be taken to market
- Performing other related duties as assigned
- Post-Secondary certificate, diploma, degree (or equivalent) in a related field
- 10+ years of professional industry experience, with a minimum of 5 years working with Unreal Engine and/or Virtual Production experience
- Ideally, an Unreal Authorized Instructor
- On-set experience using LED walls
- On-set experience with motion capture shoots, clean-up and retargeting
- Demonstrated ability to take leadership and initiative
- Technically proficient in multiple disciplines (3D modeling, animation, shader design, etc.)
- Experience as an instructor in the education sector is an asset; must have the ability to lead workshops, lectures, seminars, and explain technical concepts.
- Experience developing and delivering training curricula
- Proficiency in C++ or Python is any asset
- Expert knowledge of technology and a strong desire to continue to learn more about xR
- Highly organized – can handle multiple tasks, effectively prioritize workload, and remain agile
- Ability to execute technical challenges and tasks while remaining calm under pressure
- Creativeness and resourcefulness – great problem-solving skills, ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and solve complex issues
- Experience creating a learning environment that fosters creativity, open ideas, and a safe place to experiment, learn and collaborate
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively with a team
- Exceptional written and oral communication, and presentations skills
New Media Manitoba is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic environment. We are dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by provincial or federal law. We encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Accommodations for applicants with disabilities are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.
Apply by March 8, 2023, with cover letter and resume to:
Human Resource Services
100-62 Albert St
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 1E9
Email: [email protected]
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.